The Meaning of Construction & Food

Wow! Our team had an awesome and fun day working on the roof and enjoying lunch with our homeowners. First, we start out with our usual routine of eating breakfast, putting on sunscreen, and driving over to our construction site for this week at the Tillmans.

Yesterday was a cold and raining day, for we weren’t able to get much of the house done as we had hoped. Luckily, today we had accomplished a lot with the roof and the weather was much better today with 75 degree weather and sunny. Everyone on our team was having fun and very outgoing.

The first half of our day, half of our team was working on the roof while the rest of us were learning how to grill with John our homeowner. We enjoyed chicken, hamburgers, and hot dogs, along with lots of laughter. We laughed about how we accidentally left Bryson at house, and heard about how John and Janet met. We’re thankful that we were able to spend time with John and Janet on understanding what community means to them.

The second half of our day, we worked diligently to shingle the roof and finished landscaping. At the end of the day, we left with sunburns and sweat stains feeling accomplished in our efforts.

To wrap up on our day, we enjoyed an engaging chapel, challenging us to reflect on what we have learned this week. For me personally (Kevin) I’ve learned on how God wants me to keep challenging myself on trying new things and to push me out of my comfort zone. I’ve really enjoyed my time at Memphis this week and I’m thankful that I was able to be a part of this experience. This team has encouraged me to face my fears and make new friends.

We’re excited to wrap up our time at SOS and enjoy the remainder of Memphis!

Writer: Kevin Anderson

One thought on “The Meaning of Construction & Food

1. God bless you as you complete your work in the community there. I’m sure you have received as well as given, and everyone at home will be anxious to hear your stories!