Daytona Blog #2

The last two days were less than perfect weather days for us. Tuesday continued the theme of constant cloud coverage with off and on rain – Wednesday brought us our first sunny day, but included colder temperatures and Midwest type wind. HOWEVER, the weather did not hinder us. The clouds and rain made it easy to get people to join us for volleyball and soccer. And our friends from Oceanview were more than happy to brave the rain to hang out on the beach and drink pop together. We met really great people and had wonderful opportunities to hear people’s stories. And while the wind on Wednesday made beach goers scarce, those who braved the wind were more than open to huddling up and sharing conversation with each other.

F1D1D2B8-D98F-41EF-B78A-A155D37F5898.jpegWednesday was capped off by one of the highlights of our trip as we spent time worshiping with the unique community at Oceanview. It is hard to capture the experience with words, pictures or even video – but singing and dancing with our friends at Oceanview is always a holy and beautiful experience. After so many years with these friends, the staff celebrated with us by providing cake, cupcakes and pop (along with streamers and balloons) during our time of singing. Truly an amazing moment!

1912B0B4-8829-43F2-AF8A-11183F38DE6E.jpegAlong with this overview, here are a few stories from the rest of the team:

I quickly shoved a sandwich into my face to spend more time with John and Eric for another couple of hours.  Micah

I had the pleasure of meeting the Administration Team at Oceanview on the first day we were here. My heart swelled when seeing my friends outside…for they are so precious to me and to our Holy God. I will never forget what the Administration Team said, “After Christmas, this is the most important time of the year for them, when you come.” Our team has been deeply moved by this and I’m so grateful for the friends I’ve met there because of this trip. – Natalie

0D06FE5F-D7A4-4B22-9614-E338112875EE.jpegI met Carl at the beginning of the week, every day I am learning more about him and how I can show Gods love even a little, and also how not to give up on my dream even when I am down and in the hardest place in my life than I’ve ever been (keep going, not only with words but with actions also). –pk

It was awesome talking to high school student yesterday, I feel like student most especially high school student are people who need to hear the gospel of Christ because, a lot of time they in the process of figuring out what their place in this earth is. So it was great to not only talk to them but share a little bit about the gospel. – DANK

020ACDA2-4362-4838-88BA-70DE54542677.jpegThe Lord is faithful. That’s the biggest thing I’m growing in this week. Every encounter is just the right encounter for me in that moment. Two days ago, I met Piper, Kaylee, and Piper’s mother. Thinking I would simply help a child with her sand castle, the hour turned to also letting a woman share her heart like she hadn’t been able to in quite a while. The simple things, the silly things, they reconcile more than just material brokenness to the Lord. – Lily

Our first day out, I met a homeless man named Tommy. He was simply sitting in a chair under a cover in the park we are usually at, Sun Splash, and the instant I saw him I knew he would be aimportant aspect to our trip. That day, we talked for two hours about his life, journey, and how he ended up in Daytona. Throughout the week I’ve seen and talked to Tommy every single day, and every time he gets more comfortable with me and my teammates, and today he’s said he will even come down to the beach! These deep relationships that grow each day are a huge aspect of our trip, and I’m so glad I got to experience such an interesting person, even for so short a time. -LeeAnna